Burrastow House was built in 1759 as a seat for the Henry Family.
The original house was constructed as a two storey "Haa", raised on a basement. A "Haa" is known as a home of the farm manager of a laird's estate. The porch was reached by a fore-stair.
In the early 20th century Burrastow House was bought by Col Foster, a Yorkshire mill owner, who used it as a summerhouse. He made an extension on the back of the house, installed larger windows and also windows on the gables.
Burrastow has been a guest house from 1980 with a double and family room both en-suite. Harry and Stella Tuckey converted the house and ran it for eight years or so until they decided to retire.
Burrastow House was sold to Ann Prior and Bo Simmons in 1988. Bo Simmons continued the expansion of the guest house with her husband Henry Anderton. They added a further three en-suite bedrooms, more dining capacity and facilities for workshops and conferences. The extension was completed in 1995.
Since 2004 the current owner, Pierre Dupont, continues to renovate the pension in keeping with the stature of the house. His guiding principles are: keeping respect for the original characteristics in hand with daily comfort. Up till now Burrastow House is run as a small hotel or guest house.
To be continued...